Good pilots need two types of skills - technical skills required to fly an aircraft and non-technical “safety” skills required to manage outside-the-box challenges. m-Safety assumes that you are already a good pilot who understands how to fly an aircraft. The goal of this app is to help you understand, in more detail, the strengths and limitations of being a human being. For example, humans can only pay attention to so many things, remember so many items, or stay awake for so long before they begin making mistakes. These natural limitations are a main reason why pilot error is the primary cause of aviation accidents.
In the airlines, pilot error is responsible for about 70% of all accidents. In General Aviation (GA), pilot error has caused 97% of accidents! These statistics show very clearly that human limitations are something pilots need to be more aware of and understand how to manage.
Improving safety skills through typical pilot training is very difficult. Airline pilots complete once-a-year safety training in a classroom and safety training is typically not accessible for General Aviation (GA) pilots at all. The aviation industry expects that safety skills will develop during the course of a pilot’s experience in the real-world. The problem is that, with an impending pilot shortage on the horizon, airlines will begin hiring pilots with less experience into senior positions.
The purpose of the m-Safety app is to make world-class safety training available to all pilots. m-Safety modules target key safety skills that often lead to pilot-error accidents, including: Fatigue, Decision Making, Situation Awareness, Threat and Error Management, Communication, and Workload Management. Previously available only as Crew Resource Management training for airline pilots, these are crucial skills for all aviators. Designed to be delivered on your computer or most mobile devices, the m-Safety app can be used to supplement the training of airline pilots and to give GA pilots affordable access to safety training. Try our free module now or download our free app.
The purpose of the m-Safety Hangar Talk Forum is to share stories about challenging situations pilots have encountered in the real-world. When reading these stories, learning will be best if you spend time thinking about how you would have handled the situation. These stories can also be used as scripts to inspire flight instructors, who want to create challenging simulator-based scenarios for their students. Be a part of the m-Safety Hangar Talk Forum by clicking here.
Traditional aviation safety training is inconvenient, ineffective, and expensive.
- Inconvenient because pilots must spend several hours traveling to and sitting in a classroom. It’s tough for companies to get pilots in a room at the same time, and it decreases productivity.
- Ineffective because people forget 80-90% of what was taught in a classroom, until it is repeated the next year. The only way to remember more is through repetition.
- Expensive as typical classroom safety courses cost $1500-2000 and online courses cost $300-1000!
m-Safety is convenient, effective, and affordable.
- Convenient as it is accessible through app stores on your mobile device (currently iOS, Android and Web-versions coming Fall 2012). Courses can be completed when convenient, even while offline. Snap-courses are only about 5 minutes long and are easy to fit into your day.
- Completing a few snap-courses a week throughout the year promotes high levels of retention that were not previously possible. m-Safety is continuously being researched to stay at the cutting edge of mobile learning effectiveness.
- m-Safety courses range from $9.99 to $14.99. That means it’s about 96% cheaper than typical safety courses!